The path to your current location in our website is:
Employment and Career Information
The following resources are helpful in researching information about employment, career choices, career and employment counseling, resume writing, and interviewing skills.
Access our catalog here with the following suggested subject keywords:
- Career changes
- Civil service positions
- Employment interviewing
- Job hunting
When searching our catalog for New Jersey-related materials, use the New Jersey subject keyword index.
American Salaries and Wages Survey (10th Ed.) Detroit, MI: Gale Research, 2010.
Call #: R331.2 A512 Reference-Level 4
Dictionary of Occupational Titles/U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration/ U.S. Employment Service (4th Ed.). Indianapolis, IN: JIST Works, 1991.
Call #: R331.702 D554.4 Reference-Level 4
Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance (15th Ed.). Cosgrove, Holli (Ed.). Chicago, IL: Ferguson Publishing Co., c.2011.
Call #: R331.702 E56 2011 Reference-Level 4
What Color is your Parachute?: A practical manual for job-hunters and career-changers. Bolles, Richard Nelson. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press, 2011.
Call #: 650.14 Bol General Collection-Level 3
Business Periodical Index. Call #: R016.65 B979 Located on level 4.
- civil service jobs
- interviewing skills
- resume writing.
Use to locate journal articles and essays:
- ABI/Inform Global
- Omnifile Full Text Select
- EbscoHost* – Choose by checking one or more of the following:
- Academic Search Complete
- Business Source Premier
- Regional Business News
- Master File Premier
- Newspaper Source
Use to locate Annual Reports:
Use to locate company information:
Use to locate industry information
Use to locate statistical information:
For information on Federal Business Opportunities:
Other business databases:
Career Planning and Outlook
- America's Career InfoNet
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor look here to find trends in employment, check education and skills needed for employment in specific fields, compare state profiles and cost of living data.
- Certification and Licensing Information
- From the Riley Guide, which contains employment resources on the Internet, this site provides information on certification and licensing resources by job classification and by state. For a direct link to New Jersey information see The New Jersey License and Certification Guide.
- Job and Career Accelerator via JerseyClicks.org
- Create resumes and cover letters, learn interviewing techniques, and prepare for related exams. Access millions of job listings. You will need a New Jersey public library borrower's card to access the database.
- The Job Hunter's Bible
- The Job Hunter's Bible is the companion web site to the perennially popular book What Color Is Your Parachute? With links to personality and career tests, counseling, articles and instructions on how to use the net in a job search.
- Keirsey Temperament and Character
- Are you of an Artisan, Guardian, Rational, or Idealist temperament? Answer 36 questions and get a free temperament description. A more in-depth ten page assessment can be purchased. Available in 13 languages.
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook
- The U.S. Department of Labor's online version of this standard work provides searching by keyword, type of occupation (service, construction, sales, etc.) or by index. It also offers information on hot jobs, earnings, and links to relevant associations.
Resumes and Letters
- Damn Good Resume Guide
- Web site based on one of the most popular resume writing books. No resume examples but provides answers to 52 questions about resumes, advice on how to deal with 25 of the toughest resume problems, and 24 hot tips for resume writing.
- Riley Guide
- From one of the top internet job hunting sites advice on preparing a resume, samples, privacy issues and online posting and formatting guidance.
- Susan Ireland's Resume Guide
- Author of the Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Resume offers step-by-step advice, samples of 50+ cover letters and 10+ thank you letters.
- Ten Minute Resume
- Create a resume online free of charge using the template they provide. Set up a folder with your resume and other information but show only a profile with your skills, experience, and objectives until you decide to share your full resume with an employer (and so protect your privacy).
Job Search Sites
- America's Job Bank
- Over 900,000 jobs advertised from around the country. Search nationwide or limit to a state of within a zip code radius.
- Job Central
- Search by company, U.S. metro/regions, U.S. state/city, and by industry.
- One of the web's largest job sites with over a million job postings this site allows customization, provides tools for company research and has a place to post a resume.
- Quintessential Careers
- Job searching site with links to tips on resume writing and interviewing.
- USA Jobs
- USA Jobs is the official job site for the United States Federal Government. Contains federal government employment information and federal job listings.
New Jersey Jobs
- Civil Service Job Openings
- Job vacancy announcements in state, county and municipal government. Updated daily. The postings can be changed to display by last date for filing, geographic region or job title. Electronic applications now available.
- Federal Jobs in NJ
- Browse jobs by county or set up a job search profile to join the e-mail alerting service.
- New Jersey Career Assistance Navigator
- NJCAN provides career information including education resources and resources for job seekers. Click on one of the pictures to log in as a New Jersey resident.
- New Jersey Civil Service Commission
- The Civil Service Commission links to job descriptions, offers tips on finding civil service jobs, and provides information on employee programs. Nine Steps to a New Career outlines the job application process for civil service positions. Orientation Guides help candidates prepare for examinations.
- New Jersey Next Stop
- NJ Next Stop is a state sponsored site to help teens learn about careers, skills and jobs that are in demand in New Jersey.
- The redesigned Workforce New Jersey Public Information Network offers links for job seekers, career exploration, employers and other. Find statistics about employment and unemployment in NJ, hot jobs, and how to file for unemployment compensation. Also information on demand jobs, education and training opportunities.
- Riley Guide to Interviewing
- Links to how to handle questionable questions, handling illegal questions, interviewers favorite questions, preparing for a second interview and what to do after the interview.
Become a Librarian
- Drexel - Job Placement
- Search by type of job (library or information science), geographic area or posting date.
- Library Employment Resources
- The American Library Association offers information on a variety of employment topics in library and information science.
- Library Job Postings on the Internet
- Search library jobs by region or type of library.
- NJLA Job Hotline
- Job listings for MLS positions in New Jersey which meet the NJLA minimum salary requirement.
- Job openings for the New Jersey/ New York area from the Special Libraries Association.
- Professional Librarian Certification
- Certification is required for New Jersey librarians practicing in libraries supported by public funds with a population of over ten thousand. Check here for school media specialist certification
- Rutgers - SCILS
- Arranged by geographic location and by job type. Openings are listed in reverse chronological order.
- Wages and Trends
- Select the education, training and library job family and seeing what different types of librarians earn around the country.
Finding a Job if You Have a Criminal Record
- Criminal Records and Employment
- Produced by the Washington, D.C. Employment Justice Center much of this document relates specifically to D.C. criminal records, however it does have useful information on how to read your record, how to explain your criminal record, what to put on a job application and a list of fields you will not be able to work in if you have a criminal record.
- Employment Background Checks: A Jobseeker's Guide
- Information about why employers conduct background checks and what is included in background checks.
- Is a Criminal Record Keeping you Unemployed?
- The second page of this pamphlet gives advice about how to fill out an application and how to answer interview questions.
- Prisoner Re-entry
- Ex-offender services provided through New Jersey's One-Stop Career Center.
Comments and questions may be directed to Reference Services.