The path to your current location in our website is:
Marketing and Demographics Resources
The following resources are helpful in researching information about marketing, marketing research, and demographics.
I. Search our catalog:
Suggested subject words:
- Consumers - research
- Direct marketing
- Marketing management
- Marketing research.
When searching our catalog for New Jersey-related materials, use the New Jersey subject keyword index.
Advertising Age Encyclopedia of Advertising. McDonough, John and the Museum of Broadcast Communications, Egolf, Karen (Eds.). Dearborn, MI: Fitzroy, 2003.
Call #: R659.103 A244 Reference-Level 4
Dictionary of Marketing and Advertising (2nd Ed.). Baker, Michael. New York, NY: Nichols Publishing, 1990.
Call #: R658.8 B168.2 Reference-Level 4
Market Guide. New York, NY: The Editor and Publisher Co., 2010.
Call #: R658.8 E23 Reference-Level 4
Market Share Reporter. Detroit, MI: Gale Research, 2011.
Call#: R332 M345 Reference-Level 4
Marketing Information: A Professional Reference Guide (3rd Ed.). Barksdale, Hiram and Goldstucker, Jack (Eds.). Atlanta, GA: Georgia State University Business Press, c.1995.
Call #: R658.8 M345 Reference-Level 4
Rand McNally and Company: Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally and Company, 2010.
Call #: R912 R187 Reference-Level 4
Business Periodical Index. Call #: R016.65 B979 Located on level 4.
- consumer research
- and market research.
Use to locate journal articles and essays:
- ABI/Inform Global
- Omnifile Full Text –Wilson database
- Business and Company Resource Center
- EbscoHost* – Choose by checking one or more of the following:
- Academic Search Premier
- Business Source Premier
- Regional Business News
- Master File Premier
- Newspaper Source
Use to locate Annual Reports:
Use to locate company information:
Use to locate industry information
Use to locate statistical information:
For information on Federal Business Opportunities:
Other business databases:
How to do market research
- All About Marketing
- Written for both for-profits and non-profits this guide covers the basics of marketing, market analysis and planning, evaluating marketing efforts, telemarketing and electronic marketing.
- American Marketing Association
- Register for free and gain access to articles and tutorials on the marketing process. This site also provides a free electronic statistics textbook.
- How to Prepare a Market Analysis
- Free registration is required. Click on Market Research to learn how to conduct competive research and how to prepare a market analysis.
- American Community Survey
- A program designed to update the decennial census by gathering social, economic and housing information every year.
- American Factfinder
- Interactive United State census information from the 2000 and now 2010 censuses. Build quick tables, maps and reports by using the drop down indexes. View detailed data sets and create thematic maps. The statistics are from the decennial censuses, the American Community Survey, the economic censuses and population estimates.
- Consumer Expenditure Survey
- Statistical information on the buying habits of American consumers taken from two surveys; the quarterly Interview survey and the Diary survey.
- County Business Patterns
- Economic data by industry (excluding the self-employed, government workers, farm and railroad workers, and employees of private households) down to the zip code level.
- New Jersey State Data Center
- A project of the State of New Jersey and the U.S. Bureau of the Census this site contains economic and demographic data as well as economic and demographic projections.
- Regional Economic Conditions (RECON)
- Economic information from the FDIC at the state, MSA, and county level. Data covers twenty four categories including housing starts, employment, unemployment, bankruptcies, earnings, and mortgage delinquencies.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- This primary Census Bureau site offers a useful A-Z subject guide for easy topical access, plus links to data on other countries and a quick link to collected leading economic indicators.
Polls and Surveys
- Eagleton Poll
- The Eagleton Institute's Center for Public Interest Polling focuses on New Jersey has a survey releases since 1998 on its web site and is planning to put a searchable archive of all its polls (since 1971) on the web in the Spring of 2002.
- The Polling Report offers free current polling reports on politics and government, the economy and finance, current affairs, sports, entertainment and health. The polls are from a wide variety of sources.
- Public Agenda Online
- In-depth analyses and opinion studies on a wide variety of topics, including the economy.
- Advertising World
- An award winning index to advertising and marketing materials on the web from the Department of Advertising at the University of Texas. Over thirty categories including from account planning to word of mouth.
- Free data from Economy.com. Access to over 1,000,000 economic and financial data series. Data can be downloaded and customized in various formats. An advanced search screen allows searching by geography, start date and frequency.
- This site offers a market research roundtable, a job board, market research calculators, a legislative issues page, and a web-survey tutorial.
- The Right Site
- Free registration required to access data from this site. Statistics are from the Population and Housing census but EASI uses a ranking system of A to E according to concentration of the variable within the population or community.
- WISERTrade, the World Institute for Strategic Economic Research, provides foreign trade statistics. Although much of the data found on this site is fee-based, you can obtain free state export reports by NAICS.
Comments and questions may be directed to General Reference Office