The path to your current location in our website is:
Health and Medical Resources
Recent Acquisitions in Health and Medicine
Find information about health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.
Enrollment for individuals begins October 1, 2013.
Flu Vaccine Finder
Access our catalog here. For a narrower search (yields less results, but likely to be more relevant), use Subject Keywords; for a broader search (yields more results, but possibly less relevant), use General Keyword search. Use a Title Keyword search if you want your search to be very specific. If you know the exact title of the book you are looking for, use a Title Browse search. Not finding any results?…try the General Keyword search function.
For assistance with medical terminology, use medical dictionaries located in the library with the call numbers 610 to 610.3, or use online medical terminology sources:
- Merriam-Webster’s Medical Dictionary on MEDLINEplus.
- MeSH Browser – Medical Subject Headings from the National Library of Medicine.
As a general guideline, check for books on the following topics using the library call number (Dewey Decimal number) locations listed below. These call numbers will correspond to both the Reference Collection on Level 4 of the library, and the Circulating Collections on Level 3 (published 2001 and later) and Level 1.
Health/Medicine starts at 610
- 610 – 610.3 Dictionaries, Directories, Terminology, Abbreviations, Acronyms
- 610.73 Nursing
- 611 – 612 Anatomy and Physiology
- 613 Wellness and Health Promotion
- 613.2 Nutrition, Vitamins and Minerals, Nutraceuticals
- 613.7 Physical Fitness
- 613.8 Substance Abuse
- 614 Forensic Medicine; Incidence, Preventive Medicine.
- 615 Pharmacology, Drugs, Herbal Medicines, Alternative Healthcare, Nutritional Health
- 615.9 Chemical Hazards in the Workplace, Chemicals and Carcinogens, Poisons, Antidotes, Toxicology
- 616 Diseases
- 616.1 Heart Disease
- 616.2 Respiratory Diseases, Asthma
- 616.3 Gastrointestinal Disease
- 616.4 Diseases of the Endocrine System; Diabetes
- 616.7 Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Disease
- 616.8 Neurology
- 616.85 – 616.89 Mental Health and Psychology
- 616.9 Infectious Diseases
- 616.979 AIDS/HIV
- 616.99 Cancer
- 617 Surgery and related medical specialties; Dentistry; Ophthalmology
- 618 Obstetrics and Gynecology; Pediatrics; Child Psychology; Geriatrics
The following print resources are located in the Reference Collection of the New Jersey State Library on Level 4. These materials may be used on-site, but may not be taken out of the library on loan. This listing represents a sampling of the material available in the collection.
Many medical print resources are also available in the Circulating Collection of the library located on Level 3 (newer materials) and Level 1. These items may be checked out of the library. For information about borrowing materials please see "Getting a Library Card".
Directory of Physicians in the United States. American Medical Association, Chicago, IL.: Division of Survey and Data Resources. 41st edition, 2008.
Call #: R610.25 D598
The Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists. New Providence, New Jersey: Marquis Who's Who. 44th edition, 2012.
Call #: R926.1 D598
Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary. Dorland, W.A. Newman. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co. 31st edition, 2007.
Call #: R610.3 D711
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary. Stedman, Thomas Lathrop. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
28th edition, 2006.
Call #: R610.3 S812.28 2006
Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. Venes, Donald, 1952. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2013.
22nd edition, 2013.
Call #: R610.3 T113 2013
Some medical encyclopedias are now available online and are searchable by document title or keyword.
Use the Gale Virtual Reference Library to search in the following medical encyclopedias (note: remote access for authorized users):
- Encyclopedia of Drugs, Alcohol & Addictive Behavior, 3rd ed., 4v, 2009
- Encyclopedia of Stem Cell Research, 2v, 2008
- Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, & Recovery, 2v, 2009
- Enfermedades y Trastornos de la Salud, 3v, 2004
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine, 3rd ed., 4v, 2009
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Children's Health: Infancy through Adolescence, 2nd ed., 4v, 2011
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Diets: A Guide to Health and Nutrition , 2v, 2008
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders , 2nd ed., 2v, 2006
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine , 4th ed., 6v, 2011
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Neurological Disorders , 2v, 2005
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health , 2nd ed., 5v, 2007
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Senior Health: A Guide for Seniors and Their Caregivers, 5v, 2009
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests , 2nd ed., 4v, 2009
- Nutrition and Well-Being A to Z, 2v, 2004
The Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health. Longe, Jacqueline L. Detroit: Thompson Gale, 2006.
Call #: R610.73 G151
The Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. by O'Neil, Maryadele J., Royal Society of Chemistry (Great Britain) Cambridge, UK : Royal Society of Chemistry, 2013., 15th edition, 2013.
Call #: R615.1 M555 2013
The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine (5 volumes). Longe, Jacqueline L. Detroit: Thompson Gale, 3rd edition, 2006.
Call #: R616 G151.3
The Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders (2 volumes). Narins, Brigham. Detroit: Thompson Gale, 2nd edition, 2005.
Call #: R616.042 G151
The Gale Encyclopedia of Cancer: A Guide to Cancer and its Treatment (2 volumes). Longe, Jacqueline, L. Detroit: Thompson Gale, 2005.
Call #: R616.994 G151
Selected Reference and Text Books
Several medical texts from Salem Press are available online - Salem Health: Cancer (2009), Complementary & Alternative Medicine (2012), Genetics & Inherited Conditions (2010), Magill's Medical Guide (2011) and Psychology & Mental Health (2010). All are available at Salem Health (note: remote access for authorized users)
A selection of free, online biomedical and science textbooks is also available at the NCBI Bookshelf section of the National Center for Biotechnology Information web portal.
Gray’s Anatomy (actual title: Anatomy of the Human Body). Gray, Henry. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 29th American Edition, 1973 (30th edition, 1985, available in circulating collection on level 1).
Call #: R611 G779.29
Drug Facts and Comparisons. St. Louis: Facts and Comparisons, 2014.
Call #: R615.1 D794
The United States pharmacopeia. The national formulary. Rockville, Md., United States Pharmacopeial Convention, inc., USP 37 NF 32, 2014.
Call #: R615.11 P5361
USP DI. Drug Information for the Health Care Provider. Rockville, MD: United States Pharmacopeial Convention, 26th edition, 2006.
Call #: R615.12 US
Conn’s Current Therapy. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2013.
Call #: R615.5 C752
Goodman & Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. Goodman, Louis Sanford. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2006.
Call #: R615.7 G653
Sittig’s Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens. Pohanish, Richard P. Norwich, NY: William Andrew, 2008.
Call #: R615.9 S623.4
Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. Schroeder, Steven A. Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange, 53rd edition, 2014.
Call #: R616.075 C975
Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. McPherson, Richard A. Philadelphia : Saunders Elsevier, c2007.
Call #: R616.075 H525
Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests. Pagana, Kathleen Deska. St. Louis, Mo. ; London : Mosby, 2010.
Call #: R616.075 P128 2010
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
Call #: R616.89 D5122
Textbook of Uncommon Cancer. Raghavan, Derek. Chichester, West Sussex, England ; Hoboken, NJ : Wiley, 2006.
Call #: R616.994 T355
Current Diagnosis and Treatment Surgery. New York : Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, 13th edition, 2010.
Call #: R617 C976 2010
Current Obstetric and Gynecologic Diagnosis and Treatment. Los Altos, Ca.: Lange Medical Publications, 11th edition, 2013.
Call #: R618 C976
Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. Los Altos, Ca.: Lange Medical Publications, 21st edition, 2012.
Call #: R618.92 C976
Access our databases by subject or title.
Use electronic databases to locate journal articles. To use the electronic resources remotely, you must be a New Jersey State employee or a Thomas Edison State College staff member or student. Anyone may use the databases from within the New Jersey State Library.
To get help with finding appropriate keywords, many of the health databases have a thesaurus, subject headings directory, or dictionary.
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- Complementary and Alternative Health
- Cultural Health
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
- Find Medical Facilities and Providers
- General Guides
- Health News
- Health Policy
- Mental Health
- Nutrition, Fitness, and Food
Comments and questions may be directed to Reference Services.