The path to your current location in our website is:
Government Reference Tools
Indexes, catalogs, databases, directories of government information
Access our catalog here with the following suggested subject keywords:
- Government catalogs
- Government databases
- Government directories
- Government indexes
- Government periodicals
When searching our catalog for NewJersey-related materials, use the New Jersey subject keyword index.
Citing Government Information Resources, rev.ed., Diane L. Garner, et al, Bethesda, MD: Congressional Information Service, 1993
Call # R016.015 G234.2—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Directory of Government Document Collections and Librarians, 8th ed., American Library Association, Government Documents Round Table, Bethesda, MD: Congressional Information Service, 2003.
Call # R027.7 A512—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Guide to U. S. Government Publications, John L. Andriot, Detroit, MI: Gale Group, 2003.
Call # R015.73 A575 2003—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Tapping the Government Grapevine : the User-Friendly Guide to U.S. Government Information Sources , Robinson, Judith Schiek, 1947- Phoenix,Ariz. : Oryx Press, 1998.
Call#: R025.1734 R662.3 US Docs - Reference - Level 4
Introduction to United States Government Information Sources, 6th ed., Joe Morehead, Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 1999.
Call # R015.73 M838.6—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications, 1895-1995, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1896-1996.
Call # GP 3.8: 1895-1996—US Documents Reference, Level 4
United States Government Manual, Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration.
Call # AE 2.108/2: —US Documents Reference, Level 4
A. Broad-based catalogs and indexes:
Digitization Projects Registry
Digital Registry is a directory listing of U.S. Government publication digitization efforts
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications, CGP, 1994-
- GPO catalog of publications distributed to depository libraries since 1994. Includes searching capability for online titles.
- Keyword searching across multiple databases.
- National Technical Information Service, 1990-
- Technical literature. Keyword searching.
- Sales Product Catalog
- Sales publications from the Government Printing Office. Author, title, number and keyword searching.
B. Subject catalogs and indexes:
- ERIC, 1967- (Use Ebscohost ERIC)
- Educational journals and documents. Keyword access by subject, author, title. ED Documents 1996 on full text.
- Federated search engine to retrieve reports, articles and citations by simultaneously searching across multiple U.S. Federal Government databases.
- Transportation reports and articles. Author, title, keyword searching.
Checklist of United States Public Documents, 1789-1909, 3rd ed., Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1911.
Call # GP 3.2: C41/2—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Descriptive Catalogue of the Government Publications of the United States, September 5, 1774-March 4, 1881, Ben Perley Poore, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1885.
Call # GP 3.6: 1774-1881—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Comprehensive Index to the Publications of the United States Government, 1881-1893, John G. Ames, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1905.
Call # GP 3.6: 1881-1893—US Documents Reference, Level 4
United States Government Publications, a Monthly Catalogue, 1885-1894, John H. Hickcox and Mary Elizabeth Poole, Arlington, VA: Carrollton Press, 1978.
Call # GP 3.8: 1885-1894—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Document Catalog, 1895-1940, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1896-1945.
Call # GP 3.6: 1893-1940—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Cumulative Title Index to United States Public Documents, 1789-1976, comp. Daniel W. Lester, Sandra K. Faull, and Lorraine E. Lester, Arlington, VA: United States Historical Documents Institute, 1979-
Call # R015.73 C9712—US Documents Reference, Level 4
Cumulative Subject Index to the Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications, 1900-1971, William W. Buchanan, Washington, DC: Carrollton Press, 1973-1975.
Call # GP 3.8: 1900-1971—US Documents Reference, Level 4
- Background Notes
- Basic information on various countries and regions from the regional bureaus of the State Department. Includes geography, government, economy, history, travel, business and more.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications, CGP, 1994-
- The Catalog of United States Government Publications indexes print and electronic government information products created by Federal agencies. Coverage from January 1994.
- Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations
- Prevailing wage rate determinations on federally funded or assisted construction projects. Search or browse access by state are available.
Citing Government Publications:
- Program generating bibliographic citations in APA and MLA formats for government publications.
- ERIC - Educational Resources Improvement Center
- Database of documents and articles in education from 1966 to date with free searching.
- Federal Depository Libraries
- National directory of libraries receiving federal documents.
- Federal Telephone Directories
- Links to agencies with names, phone numbers, mailing addresses, and email addresses.
- Government Printing Office access point to electronic government information products, federal web sites, locating and or purchasing government information products, and locating federal depository libraries.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP)
- Government Printing Office catalog, 1994 to present. Includes links to libraries selecting listed items and links to electronic information products.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway
- Resource for professionals on the prevention, identification, and treatment of child abuse and neglect.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) Abstracts Database
- The NCJRS Abstracts Database contains summaries of the more than 195,000 criminal justice, juvenile justice, and substance abuse resources housed in the NCJRS Library collection
- National Technical Information Service (NTIS)
- Containing over 2.0 million bibliographic records, the NTIS Bibliographic Database is the preeminent resource for accessing the latest research sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. Contents include research reports, computer products, software, video cassettes, audio cassettes and more. The complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include abstracts.
- New Jersey State Library
- State Library resources including the library catalog.
- Registry of U.S. Government Publication Digitization Projects
- The Registry contains records for projects that include digitized copies of publications originating from the U.S. Government.
- TRID is an integrated database that combines the records from TRB's Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) Database and the OECD's Joint Transport Research Centre’s International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) Database. TRID provides access to over 900,000 records of transportation research worldwide.
- U.S. Government Online Bookstore
- Compendia of resources to find federal information products for sale.
- United States Government Manual
- Encylopedia of government agencies including their legal basis. Includes key documents. Both searchable and browsable, 1995 to present.
Comments and questions may be directed to the U.S. Documents Office.