N.J. Constitutional Convention: Vol. 2, Page 981
cessor to Peabody, Houghteling & Co., Inc.); 1930 - 32, Vice-President in charge of sales, G. L. Ohrstrom & Co., Inc. In July, 1932, established own firm, Van Alstyne, Noel & Co., Inc.; was President and Treasurer until firm changed to partnership, March 1, 1937, and is now senior partner. In February 1943, partnership joined New York Stock Exchange and New York Curb Exchange.
Directorates: Chairman of the Board, St. Lawrence Corp., Ltd., Montreal, Canada, and Hercules Steel Products Corp., Galion, Ohio; Chairman of Executive Committee, Sonotone Corp., Elmsford, N. Y.; Director, New Idria Quicksilver Mining Co., San Francisco, Cal., American Phenolic Corp., Chicago Ill., Buffalo Bolt Co., North Tonawanda, N. Y., United Piece Dye Works, Lodi, N. J., Emerson Electric Mfg. Co., St. Louis, Mo., Allen B. DuMont Laboratories, Inc., Passaic, N. J., Struthers Wells Corp., Titusville, Pa., and Continental Motors Corp., Detroit, Mich.
George H. Walton was born June 8, 1904, in Haddonfield, the son of Joseph and Addie Austin Walton. He was educated in the public schools, graduating from the Haddonfield High School in 1923; attended the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1927, and from the law school of that institution in 1930. From 1927 until 1932 he was an instructor in political science in the University. He was admitted to the New Jersey Bar in 1931, and is now a member of the Camden law firm of Drenk and Walton.
In 1938 he was appointed to the Camden County Board of Elections, and was reappointed in 1940. In 1939 he was elected Chairman of the Republican County Committee, and served in that capacity for four years, resigning upon his election to the Republican State Committee. He was an alternate District Delegate to the Republican National Convention of 1940. In 1947 he was appointed by Governor Driscoll as Associate Counsel to the Governor.
On October 1, 1942, he went on active duty as a Captain in the Army of the United States, and saw service with the 36th Infantry Division, Headquarters II Corps, and Headquarters Seventh Army in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and Germany. He made three D-Day invasions, Sicily, Salerno and Southern France. He holds the Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, the European Service Ribbon with six battle stars and Bronze Arrowhead. In July, 1944, he was promoted to Major, and in March, 1945, to Lieutenant-Colonel. He went on inactive duty in November, 1945.
In 1932 he was married to Helen S. Scammell, daughter of Dr. Frank G. Scammell of Trenton. They have two sons, Frank G. S. and Joseph A. Walton. The family resides at 235 Washington Avenue, Haddonfield.
Elmer H. Wene, of Vineland, owns and operates the Wene Chick Farms Hatchery, the Wene Poultry Laboratories, also a general farm in Hunterdon County, and is the principal stockholder and president of two important radio stations in New Jersey. He resides on East Landis Avenue, Vineland.
He was born in Hunterdon County, N. J., the son of the late Emanuel S. and Mary J. Wene, nee Killy. He was reared on a farm in Hunterdon County and educated in the public schools of that county. He later completed a special course in agriculture at Rutgers University, New Brunswick.
He has lectured on the poultry industry in many of the leading agricultural colleges in the United States and served on the New Jersey State Board of Agri-
Previous Page in Book ********* Table of Contents *********** Next Page in Book