The path to your current location in our website is:
Business, Employment, and Jobs
Government resources for business and economic information
Access our catalog here with the following suggested subject keywords:
- Economic conditions
- Employment directories
- Labor supply
- Government purchasing
- Public contracts
- Small business
When searching our catalog for NewJersey-related materials, use the New Jersey subject keyword index.
Business Statistics of the United States, 1995-, Lanham, MD:Bernan Press, 1996-.
Call #C59.11/3-2: —US Documents Reference, Level 4
Handbook of U.S. Labor Statistics, employment, earnings, prices, productivity, and other labor data 1995-, Lanham, MD: Bernan Press, 1997-.
Call #L2.3/5-2: — US Documents Reference, Level 4
Occupational Outlook Handbook, 1963-, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1963-.
Call # L2.3/4: — US Documents Reference, Level 4
New Jersey Business Source Book 1988-, Florham Park, NJ: Zinn, Graves & Field, 1987-.
Call #J658 Z78—Jerseyana Reference, Level 4
North American industry classification system: United States, 2007/Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget. Lanham, MD: Bernan; Springfield, VA: National Technical Information Service, 2007.
Call #: PREX 2.6/4: 2007 - US Documents Reference, Level 4
Web access: http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/naics.html
A. CD-ROM Resources
U.S. Exports of Merchandise 1990-, Washington, DC: U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1990-.
Call # C3.278/3:--US Documents-Computer File, Level 4
U.S. Imports of Merchandise 1990-, Washington, DC: U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1990-.
Call # C3.278/2:--US Documents-Computer File, Level 4
North American Industry Classification System. Springfield, VA, U.S. Department of Commerce, 2002
Call # PREX2.6/2:In27/CD
B. Online Databases and Resources:
- Business Resources
- A variety of business resources, databases and links to business, management, and finance websites.
- ProQuest Statistical Insight
- Statistical resources from federal, state, international, and private resources providing a variety of economic, demographic, and social data.
- The the U.S. government's official web portal, USA.gov makes it easy for the public to get U.S. government information and services on the web.
- Single source for federal acquisition information. Includes a virtual library and links to federal acquisition resources on the Internet.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Provides economic accounts data including interactive access allowing table extraction and manipulation. National economic accounts on the production, distribution and use of the nation's output,regional economic accounts with estimates of personal income, population, and employment for regions, States, metropolitan areas, and counties, and international economic accounts providing balance of payments and estimates of U.S. direct investment abroad and foreign direct investment in the U. S are available. The Survey of Current Business provides a monthly compendia of economic information.
- Business gateway to Federal Resources. BusinessUSA is a centralized, one-stop platform to make it easier for businesses to access services to help them grow and hire.
- Copyright Office
- Basic copyright information, how to file, hours of service and location, forms, and fees. Also provides search access to copyright records from 1978 on.
- Guide to regional economic activity on the Web including 10 best sites. Links to almost a thousand socioeconomic data sources arranged by subject and provider.
- Portal for export information. Includes listings of trade events, statistics, country and industry market research, information on regulations and documentation. It includes a site index and links to US and international offices.
- Single source for federal government procurement opportunities over $25,000.
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- Regulations, procedures, and forms for contracting with the federal government.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Includes statistical and directory information on federally insured banks as well as historical data. Also provides current and historical data on loan and real estate sales by the FDIC and related agencies.
- Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- GASB standards for state and local government accounting and finance. Summaries online, full-text on order.
- Government Sales
- Official U.S. government portal from USA.gov for all government asset sales from any federal or state agency.
- Internal Revenue Service
- Taxpayer information, forms, instructions, regulations, electronic filing services, and more.
- International Trade Administration
- Information on how to export, trade development by industry, import information, and trade statistics including state export data.
- Minority Business Development Agency
- Provides a resource locator, access to markets and capital, management and technical assistance as well as statistical data.
- Patent and Trademark Office
- Information about patent and trademark services, how to file, fees, searching, patent and trademark depository libraries. Expanded database searching for patents citations and full-text from 1976 is available. Trademarks are also searchable. Independent inventors may want to check out a new site just for them.
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Information for investors and financial professionals as well as regulatory information and litigation updates. The EDGAR database provides documents filed by companies with the SEC.
- Statistics of U.S. Businesses
- A longitudinal data file from the U.S. Census Bureau and Small Business Administration that lets data users see the effects of firm births, deaths, expansions and contractions. You can find data on these dynamic changes in employment for states and U.S. metropolitan areas at the major industry level for recent years.
- USA Trade Online
- Provides U. S. export and import information by commodity. Consult librarian at the NJ State Library for passworded access; also available by subscription.
- U. S. Trade and Development Agency
- Funds feasibility studies, orientation visits, training grants, business workshops and technical assistance.
- USITC Interactive Tariff & Trade Database
- Trade and tariff dataweb including both interactive and prepared reports.
Employment and Jobs
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- Provides "At a Glance" tables for quick entree and topical access to inflation and consumer spending, wages and earnings, worker safety and health, productivity, and international data and an assortment of demographics. Handy new tools include an inflation calculator and a wage query page. Includes the online magazines: Monthly Labor Review, Compensation & Working Conditions, and Occupational Outlook Quarterly.
- Sponsored by the Department of Labor it provides a suite of labor market tools: Job Bank provides free searching for available jobs. Service Locator assists in finding services and centers.
- Davis-Bacon: Wage Determinations Online.gov
- Prevailing wage rate determinations on federally funded or assisted construction projects. Search or browse access by state are available.
- Central database for open federal jobs, locations as well as jobs are searchable.
- Labor Department
- Responsible for regulation of wages, occupational health and safety, pension and benefit rights. Administers job training, unemployment insurance and workers compensation programs, promotes the welfare of women in the workplace, collects and analyzes labor and economic statistics.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health
- Responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work-related illnesses and injuries.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Information about various careers, including the nature of the work, working conditions, employment, training and education needed, job outlook, earnings, related occupations and sources of additional information.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Responsible for creating and enforcing workplace safety and health through regulations and standards and inspections.
- Office of Personnel Management
- Source of general information on federal employment. Links to USAJOBS the official site for job openings and searching. Recruitment One-Stop is the e-gov component. Also provides an electronic reading room for the federal classification system.
- O*NET OnLine
- Occupational database of skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with occupations. Covers almost a thousand occupations with titles and codes based on the Standard Occupational Classification system. Includes occupational snapshots and details as well as related occupations.
- Telework/Telecommuting Site
- Interagency site for federal agencies and employees involved in telecommuting. Includes information and resources of value to anyone wishing to institute telework.
- U. S. Government Policy and Supporting Positions: "Plum Book"
- The Plum Book is published every four years after the Presidential election. It lists over 7,000 positions such as agency heads and their immediate subordinates, policy executives, advisors, and aides outside the competitive civil service appointment system. The duties may involve advocacy of Administration policies and programs.
- Work Force New Jersey Public Information Network
- Comprehensive job listings for New Jersey, and the nation. Includes classified advertisement and specialized job sites by type of job, industry, education or region. Also includes Internet job finding resources such as services and guides and other Internet job sites.
Comments and questions may be directed to the U.S. Documents Office.